- I’ve added a Redefining Disability Project Page.
Right now it looks exactly like the Redefining Disability Intro Post, but I’ll be editing it as the project develops. Edited.
- I’m actively seeking guest posts for the series, and have added Guest Posting Guidelines.
- I’d like to thank Heather Massey of Galaxy Express and Lindsay Grant for their contributions to the project’s fall line-up and beyond. (You ladies helped me shape the next 4 months of content. And then some) I’m so excited about what we have coming!
- I’d still like to see more bloggers involved with the Redefining Disability Awareness Challenge, and I’ll be working on promoting it more in September.
- I’ll also be working on my own posts for the challenge.
Big thanks also go to Lorraine Reguly of wordingwell.com, Ionia Martin of Readful Things and Tonya R. Moore of signalpositive.com for helping to promote this project in August. Later this year, I’ll be expanding on the guest posts I wrote for those sites.
Here’s the schedule for the Redefining Disability Project so far.
9/2/14: Redefining Disability Project Welcome Post — Rose B. Fischer.
9/9/14: On Definitions and Social Constructs — Rose B. Fischer.
9/16/14: On Language Choices — Rose B. Fischer
9/23/14: Author Perspectives: My Needs Are Not Special — Rose B. Fischer
9/30/14: Character Perspectives: Thad Malimore
10/7/14: OFF WEEK
10/14/14: Questions to Ask When Writing A Character With a Disability — Rose B. Fischer
10/21/14: A Hot New World Building Tool: the Social Model of Disability — Heather Massey
10/28/14: Semi-Open Discussion Thread (Subject to change based on participation.) I’d like to get some reactions to Heather’s post and see what kind of questions or ideas people have about this concept. I have some additional content from Lindsay to share as well.
11/4/14: Character Perspectives: Micah Malimore and Reynard the Fox (Subject to change if we need to folloup more on Heather’s post.)
11/11/14: Author Perspectives: I Am Not a Wheelchair — Rose B. Fischer
11/18/14: Short Story: War’s End I—Alvarez
11/23/14: OFF WEEK (Happy Thanksgiving in the US.)
12/2/14: Semi-Open Discussion Thread (Subject to change based on participation.) I’d like to get some reactions to the example story before I go into an analysis; if I know what people need me to cover it will help me frame further posts. I’ll be planning to cover things like introducing disability concepts, etc in my analysis posts later on.
12/9/14: Character Perspectives: The Malimore Kits, Shah, and Empress.
12/16/14: Character Perspectives: Malimore’s Students
12/23/14: OFF WEEK (Happy Winter Holidays!)
12/30/14: OFF WEEK (Happy New Year!)
1/6/15: Story Analysis, Part 1
1/13/15: Story Analysis, Part 2
1/20/15: Applications of the Social Model: Synn, UE Territories, and Real Life.
1/27/15: Language Comparisons: Synn, UE Territories, and Real Life
Boy, it’s been a heck of a summer. I’m always sad to see the warmer weather go (sorry, Southern folks, I live in a freezer for six months of the year.) but I can’t say that I’m unhappy to see this summer close.
- In June there was a huge revamp of one of my story-worlds (for like the tenth time, no exaggeration.)
- Just when I had that figured out and was ready to do some serious work on my writing, I got slammed with a three week headache episode. That’s somewhat abnormal. I have migraines and cluster headaches, so I’m used to about 9-12 day periods of recurring headaches that cycles from painful but tolerable to excruciating to “just let me pass out now” and back again.
To answer a recent question — sorry I don’t remember who asked — I have food triggers, weather triggers and hormonal triggers, so I’m pretty much a walking headache timebomb.
Random possibly useful tidbit, these folks sent me a link to what they describe as an interactive guide to migraine triggers. I’ve checked it out and it may be useful. Not sure how they’re using the word interactive.
- In the middle of that, I strained my voice, and that’s just getting back to normal, now.
- What I didn’t mention was how much I’ve been struggling over the summer with survivor’s guilt and issues related to past trauma. Mid-July into August are typically rough for me, and I thought I was going to do a better job of handling it this year because overall I’ve improved a lot in the last year and a half. (This blog is one of the things I credit for that.)
Long story short, I decided to start working the 12 steps and since I don’t have access to a good local Al-Anon meeting, I’ve asked some friends to join me. So, because I do all my writing with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I need to slow down with blogging for the time being.
Going forward until the end of 2014, I’ll be blogging twice a week.
Sunday Updates and Redefining Disability on Tuesdays. I’ll still be around and will hopefully be re-blogging posts from the folks who are participating in the Redefining Disability Awareness Challenge. Kerry plans to post challenge responses on Mondays, Shan Jeniah will be posting on
Wednesday Mondays, and I’ll be re-blogging her posts on Wednesdays and I know a couple of other bloggers are going to participate in September but they don’t have regular post schedules for it.
I’ll do my best to have at least one writing related post a month (Wednesdays, for IWSG), and I’ll still be participating in my other blogging groups as I can.